Friday, September 10, 2010

Tell me your secrets and ask me your questions

The crazy thing about marriage
I have a cousin who married this woman about twelve years ago. I attended their wedding, watched them have their first two kids, buy a house, start a business together, the whole spiel...ya know what most people would like to accomplish in life. They moved to Texas a few years back and had a third child opened their own business down there and I honestly thought they were happy. I mean they made it past ten years together, that's a pretty big deal. But this morning while eating breakfast my mom broke the news to me that they were going to get a divorce. My cousin's going to get custody of the three kids and keep their business and house and his soon to be ex wife will just have fun.

I won't get into detail about why, how, or what happened but it's just sad to see a marriage that lasted for that long go out the window. Think about the kids, I can't even imagine what they're going through because I was blessed enough to grow up with the support of two parents, and two parents who are still married to this very day. I mean they weren't happy all twenty three years of their marriage but they have gotten through trials and tribulation to get happy and to get to where they are today.

Sixty percent of all marriages in the United States end in divorce these days. And for a person like me who doesn't believe in divorce, that's a huge turn off. Let's just save myself the time, money, and emotions. I still believe that two people could happily be married forever, but it takes a lot of patience, dedication, and compromise to make it work. And if I’m going into a relationship/marriage giving it 100% and the guy is just putting in 50%, he’s obviously getting the better end of the bargain.

But we’re all in the same situation called Life, and it’s crazy so you never know. I’m just not going to bother with finding someone. If he comes my way then maybe the idea of marriage will be put into consideration.

So before I left to school this morning, I gave my mom a kiss on the cheek. Kind of like a thank you, for her hard work and holding it through her marriage with my dad. I know it wasn’t the easiest, but it is now.


Football season is back in session
Yesterday was the NFL’s season opener with the Vikings playing against the SuperBowl champs the Saints. It was basically a repeat of last season’s NFC Championship game where the Vikes pretty much handed the title over to the Who Dat Nation, because we pretty much handed the first game to them either. Not a great way to start the season but there are fifteen games left.

Last season, every game was spent watching it with the STP boys. Cheering, joking, making bets, eating with them every Sunday and Monday were the best. It’s a shame that just because Thinh and I aren’t together anymore we don’t get to do that this season. Over the five and a half years of getting to know them, I looked at every one of them as if they were my brothers. That was pretty much the only thing I was scared of when Thinh and I ended our relationship, that my relationship with the guys would be gone, and it is.

New football traditions will be created this season though. One of the only beautiful things about fall, the NFL.

No comments: