Thursday, December 23, 2010

Marriage and Children

I normally don’t do much on FB but to keep in touch w/friends, and post lots of food pictures and how I’m feeling for the status, but I was distracted and didn’t want to finish what I started so I took a quiz on marriage potential. Obviously, the quiz isn’t going to tell you whether you are or not with a few broad questions, but I couldn’t agree more with the results.

Apparently, I am the modern wife: a wife who doesn’t mind doing household things, and will help the husband out financially. True, I don’t mind cooking and cleaning, and I would have no problem whatsoever being the breadwinner of the household. Besides, I wouldn’t have it any other way. It could be because I have a lot of pride, but I like independence. If I’m depending on my husband for everything (even financially), what will I get left with when he’s gone (I don’t believe in divorces so when he’s gone I mean on a business trip, accidents can happen, etc life is crazy anything can happen)?

And the thing with babies, children, and kids? All of my friends know I don’t like them, but it’s not that I don’t like them it’s just I’m uncomfortable around them. I’m a clumsy person, and babies/children are delicate. I can name a handful of times where I’ve accidently made babies/children cry because I nearly dropped them, ran into them, and pushed them, etc in the past.

And I’ve never really cared for being around them until recently. A friend of mine has been nice enough to allow me to come to family events, and the person has a huge family. I mean I do also, but we’re not all close knit like they are. I envy that, watching my friend’s family being so close and watching TV. shows like Brothers and Sisters (one of my favorites) makes me want to have a big family and start all of these traditions. But anyways, while going to all of my friend’s family events these past three months, I’ve gotten to get to know a lot of the kids in the family (the person’s nieces and nephews) and they have gotten to know me. I love showing up at their houses or at Chucke Cheeses and having all of the kids run up to me saying “Hi Tammy!!” or them including me in on their games. And one by one each of them are slowly adding me on Facebook too. Which I don't mind, but there's some things I post on there which shouldn't be seen by them.

I’ve never been more comfortable hanging out with kids than I have now, and seeing them happy from the smallest simplest things puts me in a great mood.It just stinks because it makes me sad that I never see any of my nieces and nephews, or baby cousins as often as I should be for their birthdays and holidays.

No comments: