Friday, October 16, 2009

Success, Money, & <3


The view from my parents' living room
*****
Success is an ambiguous word. It’s hard to have just one definition for the word, so what’s yours? I’m sure a lot of people’s answers will include the ‘lots of money’ in it somehow. Not mine though. It might be cliché to quote someone for a definition of a word, but I couldn’t have said it any better.

"To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty. to find the best in others; to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

I’ve never understood why so many people value money, and I might never know why. There are a few things I value in life, and money shouldn’t on anyone’s list, but the sad thing is it’s on almost everyone’s. Yes, it’s nice to have it, but if you don’t it shouldn’t be a problem. It just seems like everyone who’s started from the bottom and worked their way up, all of a sudden changes who they are because of the fact that they have more money, I think it’s rather sad. Everyone starts from the bottom, remember that. And if you didn’t start from the bottom, then I feel sad for you because having money handed to you by family doesn’t show very much of who you are as a person. I just wish that people who started from the ground up, wouldn’t forget who they are while riding to the top.

I will be successful later in life, and I can guarantee you that I won’t forget where I came from before all of the luxuries. And I definitely won’t forget the people who stuck by me either, because all of you will be up there by my side.

*****
I think one way men show that they love you is by them trusting you with their deepest, darkest fears and secrets, especially from those who have too much pride in saying the actual word itself.

I wonder how women show their love?

No comments: