Saturday, February 26, 2011

Feeling a little crabby this morning?

Ever heard of anyone say "I'm not a morning person"? Or have you ever felt angry, grumpy, or a little whinier when you’re hungry? If you haven’t let me show you a short commercial:


If you’ve ever heard anyone say they weren't a morning person or if you're feeling grumpy, you’re probably just lacking in serotonin (aka the happiness hormone). When your body has low serotonin levels or the serotonin receptors in your brain isn’t as active as other people’s, you're more susceptible to to depression, annoyance, and migranes.

How serotonin works in our bodies:
In order for our bodies to synthesize more serotonin we need tryptophan. Tryptophan is an essential amino acid, and we have to get it from the foods we eat because our body can’t produce it. Tryptophan can be found in foods like: chocolate, eggs, milk, fish, and poultry just to name a few. So when we eat foods that contain high contents of tryptophan, our bodies also creates higher levels of serotonin. In return, the serotonin is released into our brain which gives us the content, comfortable, and relaxed feeling.

There you have it; a quick fix for crabbiness is food. And to that person who's "not a morning person" just tell them to eat breakfast.

Again, I'm just summarizing the best I can from what I have read. If I'm incorrect about anything feel free to let me know. That's the only way I'll learn. [=

No comments: