Friday, June 8, 2018

Mental illness and my role in the world

Close friends and family know I've been diagnosed with depression, but maybe I need to be more open about dealing with my mental illness.

My younger brother deals with many issues with mental illness other than just depression, and I've made it a priority of mine over the past six months to not only take him to his psychiatrist appointments, but also be included in them (he's comfortable with me in the sessions). It's opened my eyes to the things his mind deals with daily and I believe I've helped him be a little more honest not only with his doctor but also with himself as well.

I write this now because right now, there are more resources out there more than there ever has been (I'm still upset with the closure of a suicidal prevention line closing in St Paul, MN last year) but many people aren't using them. Maybe it's because people don't realize they're dealing with a mental illness of their own, or they're too ashamed to admit it, or they simply just don't know where to start. And I've experienced all three.

So today, after waking up to the news of Anthony Bourdain's passing due to suicide, I'm asking myself what role do I want to play in this world? I've always struggled with jobs and the lack of passion I had for the ones I held, why not turn my passion into a job or even a career?

Things I'm passionate about:
Food
Working out (pre pregnancy)
Racial inequality and injustices
Gun control
Climate change
Women's rights
Mental health issues

They're not listed in any order and that's just a compilation of the things I could think of off the top of my head.

What role can I play in making those things more visible besides a few tweets and retweets here and there?

I never want the conversation about mental illness to end, ever. It's been more prevalent the past two days because two very public figures passed, but that's the problem. Why are we only talking about it because of the two public figures? Why not talk about it all the dang time for others who aren't as famous.

The more we understand, the more we can do.

A lightbulb went off and I think I'm ready

Sent from my iPhone

No comments: