Monday, February 22, 2010

Tomorrow isn't Promised

I’ve only been to a three funerals in my entire life. My first funeral was my great grandfather’s (Dad’s, dad’s dad), second was my ba ngoai’s, and third is a few of mine and Thinh’s close friend’s dad. The last one was fairly recent, and because the first two were when I was a lot younger, I don’t think I really understood it as much as I do now. I didn’t know my great grandfather too well, nor did I even know I had one until a couple days before his funeral. And as for my ba ngoai, I believe she and my ong ngoai are my guardian angels (I still have to write about how I have come to that conclusion).

There’s always so much that’s left behind when a person passes away, especially at such a young age (well younger compared to what most would think of when they think of death). There’s so many things left unaccomplished, unspoken, unheard, un….everything. And you don’t really think about those things until it’s too late. This doesn’t apply to just when a person passes away, but also when any kind of relationship ends.

I can only imagine what my friends are going through. I can’t even imagine how I’d be if I was put in their shoes, because I love my parents too much to even imagine what it’d be like if either of them weren’t here with me anymore. One of the reasons why I wanted to move back was because of my family. When I lived in St. Louis, which was the first time my parents took advantage of our health insurance and got checked up. My dad has really high cholesterol where he should be avoiding all kinds of red meats and take prescribed medications everyday to help lower it, and the docs found a cyst in my mom’s ovaries and she had to get them removed with surgery. The most I could do was send her an edible arrangements bouquet, how sad is that? If anything was to happen to either one, I would want to be right there with them.

No comments: