Thursday, June 5, 2014

Opportunities

As I'm reflecting on the past 26 years, I've learned that education and learning goes beyond academia. Every opportunity is a lesson to be learned.

In the two years I worked 70hr weeks as a Financial Advisor for a Fortune 200 Company to build my book of clients and get my name out there I had the opportunity to learn an important life lesson. 

People only do business with people they like. Whether you like to believe it or not, we make decisions based on our emotions. There are thousands of financial advisors out there. All of them able to provide the exact same thing. You want Apple or Google stock? We all have it. You want life insurance? We all have it. You need a detailed financial plan on how to get from point A to point B? We all can do it. But what sets all of us apart is how deep our connections run with our clients. 

The deeper the connection, the deeper the loyalty.

So as I move forward in my career and leave the 70 hr work weeks behind, I am reminded of this lesson I once learned. Back in the good ol days all you needed to do was show up for work, do the work, do a good damn job of the work and you'd get promoted through the passion you showed. Now, it's all about who you know and how deep those connections run.

I'm slowly learning how to play office politics, and just like everything else I've done I'm gonna do a good damn job of it.

Sent from my iPad 

No comments: